The Building Engineer utilizes advanced skills (general and trade specific) to perform complex preventive maintenance and corrective repair of buildings, industrial systems, equipment, and grounds. This is not a management or supervisory position. It is a hands-on position. Responsible for the preventative maintenance and repair of mechanical and building systems for a Mixed-use Multifamily Highrise. Working under limited supervision, the Building Engineer monitors building system operations and performance, and completes self-performance of specific and/or several trade skills such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, roofing, refrigeration, heating, and cooling.
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform preventative maintenance and repairs on HVAC equipment, plumbing and electrical systems. Including Filter changes, lubrication, control, and performance check, Replace bearings, motor, and dampers.
- Possesses a working knowledge of electrical systems, circuits, and electrical safety procedures. Knowledgeable in troubleshooting, short circuits, grounding issues, etc. of single- or three-phase AC circuits. Competent in the replacement of outlets, switches, lighting ballasts, circuit breakers, motor control starters, motors, etc. Assists with the preventive maintenance program for all electrical equipment.
- Possesses a working knowledge of heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and Central Plant operations to include troubleshooting of same. Assists with preventive maintenance for all building mechanical equipment such as air handlers, pumps, variable air volume units, etc. Knowledgeable in building automation systems (BAS). Responds to HVAC calls. Knowledgeable in chemical treatment. Performs inspections on Chilled water system; adjusts and records findings. Replaces belts, motors, bearings, actuators, and valves on all mechanical equipment.
- Life Safety: Proficient in the property’s life safety systems and all life safety recordkeeping. Identifies and responds to fire alarms and trouble calls; properly enables or disables points.
- Conducts inspections of emergency generators and fire pumps, records results. Makes recommendations for outside service as appropriate.
- Maintains a basic understanding of mechanical drawings and wiring diagrams.
- Repairs or replaces door closures, hardware, and operators. Adjusts or repairs security systems.
- Ability to write, execute written and oral instructions and perform arithmetic calculations.
- Strong knowledge of safe work practices and procedures typical for maintenance operations
- Coordinate purchase of materials for building MEP operations, including light bulbs, tools, HVAC/electrical/plumbing materials, and supplies utilized in conjunction with the maintenance of the buildings while maintaining with in community budget.
- Maintain computerized or manual logs (Onesite), which detail the preventative maintenance work performed.
- Conduct daily building walk-throughs to maintain appearance and operation of buildings – replace lighting, adjust doors, ensure cleanliness as required.
- Assist in procuring proposals and quotations for building systems and equipment; develop scope and requirements.
- Be on an on-call rotation to respond to after hours and weekend emergencies/building requirements.
- Performs Property Inspections Daily, weekly, monthly, Quarterly, and annually.
- Responds to service work orders and resolves problems in a timely, safe, and professional manner.
- Supports Maintenance Supervisor with repairs to plumbing systems, electrical, mechanical and HVAC on residential units.
- Comply with all state/local laws and follow the company’s policies and procedures.
- Adhere to all safety procedures and guidelines including compliance with OSHA/Fair Housing requirements.
- Maintain order and cleanliness in maintenance and storage areas; keep all areas locked and secured.
- Perform plumbing maintenance and repair of pipes, fixtures, and valves. Maintain/repair drain lines out to 150 ft.
- Be knowledgeable of physical condition of property and correct unsafe conditions.
- Must have strong customer service skills working with tenants and clients.
- Any other duties and tasks assigned.
- HS Diploma or greater
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience Three Years experience at HVAC/ facilities engineering field.
- Minimum, of 3 to 5 years’ experience in high rise apartment or hotel/industrial buildings.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate in English required.
- Ability to safely wear a respirator, climb ladders, enter confined spaces, lift heavy objects, and perform other physically demanding tasks.
- Ability to work on rooftops.
The functions below are required CONSTANTLY (66% – 100% of the time):
- walking or sitting
- computer input
- finger dexterity
- coordination of hand, eye, and foot
The functions below are required FREQUENTLY (33% – 66% of the time):
- climbing stairs
The functions below are required OCCASIONALLY (10% – 33% of the time):
- reaching above the shoulder
- lift 5 – 25
- pushing and pulling
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org